Cebu City: A Holy Mass kicked off the 2024 Sinulog Grand Parade Celebration held at the South Road Properties.
The Sinulog Festival is an annual cultural and religious event celebrated on the third Sunday of January in Cebu City. It serves as the focal point of the Philippines’ observance of the feast of Santo Niño, also known as the Child Jesus. This vibrant festival attracts locals and tourists alike, who come together to witness the colorful and lively parade.
The much-awaited grand parade is the highlight of the Sinulog Festival. This afternoon, 17 contingents will showcase their artistic talents and cultural heritage as they take part in this spectacular event. The participants are divided into two categories: Sinulog-based and free interpretation.
In the Sinulog-based category, we have the following contingents:
1. Abellana National School
2. Banauan Cultural Group – Barangay Guadalupe
3. Hut-ong sa Lunhawng Mamumoo sa Pamilyang Cebu Gen
4. Barangay Bulacao powered by Alpha Kappa Rho
5. Pundok Baniladnon sa Sugbo – Barangay Banilad
6. Inayawan Talents Guild and Cultural Dance Troupe – Barangay Inayawan
7. Nagkahiusang Mananayaw sa Sapangdaku – Barangay Sapangdaku
8. Banay Labangon – Barangay Labangon
These contingents will mesmerize the audience with their synchronized dance movements and elaborate costumes, showcasing the rich cultural heritage of their respective communities. Each performance tells a story, depicting historical events or legends that have shaped the identity of the people of Cebu.
In the free interpretation category, we have the following participants:
9. Tribung Kamanting Performing Arts Guild – Municipality of San Jose, Province of Dinagat Islands
10. Tribu Mabolokon – Barangay Mabolo
11. Pasayaw Festival representing The Province of Negros Oriental – Canlaon City
12. Banay San Nicolasnon – Barangay San Nicolas Proper
13. Lumad Basakanon – Barangay Basak San Nicolas
14. Tribu Divinohanon of Divino Amore Academy
15. Tribu Masadyang Subanian – Barangay Suba
16. Activong Binaliwhanon – Barangay Binaliw
17. Tribu San Roque sa Cuidad – Barangay San Roque
These participants have the freedom to interpret the Sinulog Festival in their unique and creative ways. Their performances often incorporate modern elements while still paying homage to the traditional roots of the festival. It is a testament to the continuous evolution and adaptability of Filipino culture.
This year, the grand prize for both categories has been increased from P1 million to P3 million. This significant increase reflects the growing importance and recognition of the Sinulog Festival on a national and international scale. It serves as a testament to the dedication and hard work of the participants, who spend months preparing for this momentous event.
The Sinulog Grand Parade Celebration not only showcases the artistic and cultural talents of the people of Cebu but also promotes unity and camaraderie among its participants. It is a celebration of faith, heritage, and the vibrant spirit of the Filipino people.
As the streets of Cebu City come alive with the rhythmic beats of drums and the colorful swirl of costumes, spectators from all walks of life are captivated by the energy and enthusiasm that permeate the atmosphere. The Sinulog Festival is not just a local event; it is a celebration that transcends borders and welcomes people from all corners of the globe to experience the beauty and diversity of Filipino culture.
So, if you find yourself in Cebu City during the Sinulog Festival, prepare to be immersed in a sensory extravaganza that will leave a lasting impression. Join the thousands of spectators who come together to witness the magic of the Sinulog Grand Parade Celebration, and be part of a celebration that celebrates the past, present, and future of the Philippines.
Source: The Manila Times